GREENVILLE, S.C. – The group that honors the greatest football players in Palmetto State history now will be honoring the best current player.
Officials with the South Carolina Football Hall of Fame announced today they will present the South Carolina College Player of the Year Award to the best football player who plays for a South Carolina college/university or is a South Carolina native playing college football anywhere during the 2013 season.
The award will be presented during the South Carolina Hall of Fame’s induction ceremony in February 28, 2014.
Players on the initial watch list for the award are:
- Tajh Boyd- SR QB, Clemson
- Sammy Watkins-JR WR, Clemson
- Jadeveon Clowney- JR DE, South Carolina
- Connor Shaw- SR QB, South Carolina
- Bruce Ellington-JR WR/RS, South Carolina
- David Sims- SR B-Back, Georgia Tech (Calhoun County High School, St. Matthews, SC)
- Quinton Washington- SR DT, Michigan (Timberland High School, St. Stephen, SC)
- Tariq Edwards- SR LB, Virginia Tech (Cheraw, SC)
- Alvin Scioneaux- SR LB/S, Wofford
- Matt Hazel- SR WR, Coastal Carolina
In addition, the top five write-in votes from media voters will be added to the preseason list. Voting for the Player of the Year will consist of media, Hall of Fame members, Hall of Fame Advisory Council members and a fan vote.
The initial South Carolina Football Hall of Fame class was inducted last March. The eight inductees were Clemson University’s Banks McFadden, Danny Ford and Frank Howard; the University of South Carolina’s George Rogers; Furman University’s Sam Wyche, and South Carolina State University’s Willie Jeffries, Harry Carson and Donnie Shell.
Voting for the 2014 class will be announced later this fall.
About the South Carolina Football Hall of Fame:
The South Carolina Football Hall of Fame was created to honor those athletes and coaches from the Palmetto State who created a historic and significant impact on college and professional football.